Milestones: December 22

I wish I could say Matt’s recovery is all rainbows and sunshine, but it’s far from it. Yes, we try to celebrate the milestones but there is a ton of struggle and frustration to get there — and Matt’s mom and I are getting all of the jabs. We know it’s not him, but it hasn’t been easy. We’ve even …

Rehab Day 1: December 21

Matt finished his first day at rehab today. Although it will be nice to see him continue to make progress to get better, it absolutely breaks my heart to see him struggle. I can see the frustration and anger in his face because he needs help doing the simplest of tasks. It’s hard to see such a physically strong person …

Off to Rehab: December 20

We’re getting ready to head back to Des Moines! We are just waiting for the ambulance to transport Matt to Mercy. After a day of no answers the social worker and I decided to tag team efforts by calling the insurance company. 10 minutes after I gave the insurance people a sob story about how the boys want to be …

Ups & Downs: December 20

There’ve been so many ups and downs to Matt’s recovery. Although he is showing signs of progress, he had some difficulties last night that cause him to have an emergency evaluation. His amazing nurse stayed outside the door all night while I slept with one eye open next to him. Brain surgery of his extent is a very serious thing. …

Perspective: December 18

The last 3 weeks have been the hardest of our lives. It’s a true test of our marriage and each other’s strength. Matt said to me today (as clear as he is able to), “This sucks. I hate it here. But it puts things into perspective.” And it absolutely does. I can’t help but think about all the stupid things …

Progress: December 17

Matt is continuing to show great progress. The physical therapist got him to stand, but he’s still not ready to walk as his brain suffered severe trauma from the removal of the tumor — which he did get a picture of! Dr. S kept his promise and delivered the pictures this morning. Matt’s reaction when seeing the picture: “WHOA.” His …

Slow, But Steady: December 16

Matt is showing progress and got moved out of the ICU not too long ago! This is a great sign — being in the ICU was rough. He will begin seeing a speech pathologist tomorrow. The tumor was pressing on a part of his brain that controls how he eats, with the tumor gone he has to relearn to swallow, …

Small Victories: December 15

Matt’s been working on sleeping off the anesthesia (still). It’s very hard to understand him when he talks if he is able to get the words out. He told his nurse, “thirsty.” Nurse said to him, “the doctors won’t let you have any water.” (Edit: The anesthesia has already worn off. His brain is trying to repair itself, which is …

Day After Surgery: December 15

I got the all clear to see Matt at 11:30 pm last night in the ICU. As I approached the room I was immediately told I could not go in by a swarm of doctors and nurses. They told me his neurological functions were not looking good and he may have had a stroke, as his left side was not …

He Made It

Today has been the longest day of my life. I just spoke with the doctors and Matt made it out of surgery. The doctor said it was bigger than they had initially thought, but they were able to get 90% if the tumor. It was too risky for them to get the other 10%. They were able to save all …